Khabib Nurmagomedov Vs Tony Ferguson The Tale of The Cursed Fight.
So you don’t believe fights can be cursed? Well sit back and let me prove that to you. How many times this fight has been cancelled you ask? This will be the fifth time.
- The Ultimate Fighter 22 Finale (2015) – This is the original bout that was planned to take place between the two. Khabib suffered a broken rib in training. Forcing him to withdraw.
- UFC on Fox 19 (2016) – The Second match up scheduled a year later. This time it was Ferguson. Due to fluid build up in his lungs. The Athletic commission medically suspended him.
- UFC 209 (2017) – “Tiramisu Gate” One would think third time is the charm. Even when we made it all the way to the weigh-ins. Nope. After Khabib was sent to the hospital for cutting weight, the fight was pulled yet again.
- UFC 223 (2018) – This is for all the marbles. The fight was to take place as the Lightweight Championship bout. After Mcgregor’s inactivity as Champ. Then disaster struck as Tony tripped over some cords at a media event and tore his ACL prior to fight night. AL Iqaquinta would step in on 24 hours notice and take Khabib to decision.
- UFC 249 (2020) – COVID-19 has put the fifth attempt at this bout in jeopardy. The UFC is already making moves to salvage Tony Ferguson being on this card.
The Future of Tony Vs Khabib
There hasn’t been a fight in UFC history to fall through as many times. Tweet at me @clemons_htm and let me know if any other combat sport has failed this much at holding a particular fight. The worst part is Tony knew this was going to happen. See Below.
This fight in my opinion will happen. Best guess is after Ramadan. Possibly a short notice fight. This fight doesn’t happen any way but short notice.